Deep-clearing a SmartFade or SmartFade ML console begins with your console powered off.
Deep-Clear, bypassing self-tests
The easy way, skipping all self-tests, is to follow steps 1-4 below, then press the [✔] button about once per second until the console enters the memory test. Once the memory test is complete, press the [✔] button two more times, and the console will shut down.
When you next power up, the console will likely have put itself in an empty stack. Press the [Stack] button once to return to the normal display.
Deep-Clear with Self-Tests Included
- Press and hold the [✔] key. This key is the button that allows progression through the deep clear. Continue holding [✔] and turn on your console using the Mode (power) button
- Your console will flash its LED lights and, eventually, the screen will show the message "Entering Test Mode Release Buttons"
- Your control buttons should be lit up. When you push a button, the screen should show "value:down" and when you release it, "value:up"
- When you are done testing any control buttons, press [✔] to advance to the next step
- Press [✔] repeatedly as you step through the console lighting up the different colors of LEDs it has to offer.
- Eventually, numbers and symbols will start changing on your screen. So, you may have a screen full of 7s. Press [✔] without waiting for it to stop advancing through symbols. It loops continuously until the [✔] button is depressed.
- DMX Test: If you are able to loop a DMX cable from the console's DMX OUT into its DMX IN for the SmartFade or from DMX 1 to DMX 2 for the SmartFade ML, you can test whether you have a DMX port failure. If you do not connect a cable, the test will automatically fail; that is expected behavior. Press [✔]
- MIDI Test: If you are able to loop a MIDI cable from one MIDI port to the other, you can test whether you have a MIDI failure. If you do not connect a cable, the test will automatically fail; that is expected behavior. Press [✔]
- Your screen should display "USB chip test passed". If it doesn't, you may need to take your console to an ETC Dealer or Service Technician. Press [✔]
- Your screen should display "Insert Memory card Write Protect:on". Press [✔], it will say you've failed, then press [✔] again.
- Your screen should display "System ID test Pins:001".
STOP HERE. IF YOU PRESS THE CHECKMARK [✔], YOUR CONSOLE WILL LOSE ANY INFORMATION STORED ON IT.
i. If you wish to avoid losing information, pull the power out from the back of the console to force it off. This will not deep-clear the information. It will simply run you through the console self-tests
ii. If you wish for your console to clear its memory, press [✔].
- The screen will show some changing numbers, then it will say "Memory test passed." If it fails the memory test, try to deep-clear one more time. If it still fails, please call ETC Tech Support and have your console's serial number ready.
- Press [✔]. Your screen should display "Firmware Upgrade Are You Sure? [NO]". Press [✔]. Your console will shut itself down.
- When you next power up, the console will likely have put itself in an empty stack. Press the [Stack] button once to return to the normal display.