Electronic Theatre Controls
Welcome to ETC's Online Community

Solution to pesky iRFR connection issue

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Braden Posted: 02-28-2012 11:23 PM

A few of my clients have had issues with the iRFR app lately. It has to do with Apple's latest update to iOS 5. The problem is that their devices are losing connection to their consoles every 10-15 seconds.

I discovered a solution based on a user having similar troubles with a Congo console.

On your iPod/iPhone, navigate to Settings>General>Reset and select and confirm 'Reset Network Settings'.

Your device will then reboot itself. After the reboot is complete, you will need to join your control network (wifi).

You should be able to connect and stay connected to your console at this point.

Hope this helps! Break a leg!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 301

Thanks for the information but i can atest to the fact that does not work.  I have tired that, I have tried turn on airplane mode, i have tried kicking it....I think the real solutions is to wait for the update from ETC....But if you get it to work lucky you....

Peace, Ed

Peace, Ed

Not Ranked
Posts 9

That's a shame!  It's worked for nearly a dozen devices in three different venues on my end.  Is your console providing DHCP service to your device, or is the device on a static IP address?  In my cases, the consoles are DHCP servers.  Also keep in mind that this only applies to iOS 5.x.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 219

I have had no problems with my iPhone 4/4s running iOS 5 and an Element console.  I have found that the most basic, cheapest wifi router(Belkin is the one I have had luck with) works the best.  I have found that the Cisco Valet routers won't let you set the subnet mask to the correct settings, so thats a problem.  I had a client with the same problem and we resolved it by replacing the router with a cheap belkin and it stays connected all the time.  I personally think the problem is that the iPhone is looking for data for all it's other services and since it can't find it on the lighting network, it bumps to the cell network and screws up the ip addresses.  But no way to really confirm that.

JP Gagnon High Output, Inc. Portland, ME

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 301

just tried the reset again...still not working right.  I am on ipad and not phone and is only on WiFi.  In an earleir thread ETC is aware of the issue and working to resolve it..in the mean time i have a very nice portable game console....

Peace, Ed

Not Ranked
Posts 8

I'm having the same problem! I set up the network with a netgear router yesterday and all was well, client software on the company ibook working and iPad irfr working fine, this morning i turned on the console and iPad and iPhone irfr are both dropping out constantly. I didn't get time to check the client console but I'm a little baffled.

Not Ranked
Posts 9

Well, I guess I better recant. This fix only seemed to work for about a day. Please let us know if any of you discover anything. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30

I did like Braden says and it works.

Although it's a shame that one has to reboot for each session. Is there a update of the iRFR in sight?

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Hi Braden,

We have 3 employees with the same problem after updating to ios5. We've tried every "fix" that has presented itself on the forums and no such luck. It's a shame to have "donated" $50 for a product that only works a fraction of the time. Please please please find a fix for this and update the app… Pretty please? 

Thanx!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,062

We are looking into this right now - as we do understand the urgency of the issue.  Please stand by.

Thank you.

a

Anne Valentino

Eos Product Line Manager

Not Ranked
Posts 9

I discovered today in two venues that disabling encryption on the wireless network eliminates this problem.  Since this eliminates the use of a passphrase, the wireless access points have been set not to broadcast their name (SSID) so the networks cannot be used by anyone not authorized to connect to them.

Hope this helps both users and the folks at ETC.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30

In case anyone's still having issues with this:

My understanding is there was a wifi connectivity problem that existed in OS 5.0.0 and OS 5.0.1. I heard something about it being a problem that only existed with users of an OS5 device and Cisco (maybe Linksys as well) WAP. The problem is apparently fixed in OS5.1.0, but you'll need to completely reset your network settings in "Settings" (General -> Network -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings). That's a bit of a pain, because you'll need to re-enter any other network connections on your phone, too, but otherwise the problem remains.

I can confirm having experienced this problem using an iPhone 4S with OS5 an OS5.0.1 with a Cisco AiroNet 1140 WAP.

I can also confirm that when I upgrade to OS5.1.0, the problem remained until I reset my network settings and then re-entered the wifi authentication details and IP settings for the venue's lighting network. Since resetting the network settings, it has worked fine for me.

Hope that helps.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,426

We released an update to the iRFR app last week, so if you updated then that will have sorted it out.

If you haven't let your iRFR app update yet, then we recommend you do so at your earliest convenience.

Keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ETC Field Service, London

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30

Hi Richard,

Thanks. I do remember receiving that update, but I don't think it fixed my problem until I did the steps described with the router.

Maybe there were two factors contributing in my case.

- Blake.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS