Electronic Theatre Controls
Welcome to ETC's Online Community

Try out our latest experiment in lighting control

rated by 0 users
This post has 42 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407

Hello,

At the moment, it does not play video.  The concept is that it's more of a "content-free" of media server, and all effects are programatically rendered in real time.  It could be something we add later though...  If you have access to an Ion you could playback movies using the virtual media server functionality, but that does not give you video output if that's what you are after.

Chris Mizerak
Software Engineer

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 76

Chris Mizerak:

Hello,

At the moment, it does not play video.  The concept is that it's more of a "content-free" of media server, and all effects are programatically rendered in real time.  It could be something we add later though...  If you have access to an Ion you could playback movies using the virtual media server functionality, but that does not give you video output if that's what you are after.

YES! You should TOTALLY add a video playback feature...I found the "media server" detail mentioned on the Wiki page to be a little misleading, but hey that's advertising!

I do have access to an ion, and thats is what we're after....a cheap solution to a media server.

Thanks much!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,872

hey there. there is no such thing as a cheap media server if it comes to paying back video files. there are servers that don't do what they're supposed, and functioning servers that are less and some that are more expensive... the hardware requirements and the choice of codices are essential. with home or office equipment and without a good codex you will never get a reliable and satisfying system that plays back smoothly, without delay, sound in sync and starting at the exact moment you want to.

to be honest, i'd rather have a system that does as advertised and maybe does a little less but that all the better, than something that tries to do it all and fails...

regards from switzerland, ueli

Eos Family 2.2 beta build 63, aRFR, iRFR, Nomad PC
NTX 6.0.1.4

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18

would be happy if there was a way to control (ie forward back goto slide/cue )something like open office or power-point but that for a differant post as far as pixel toy it seem pretty cool .once i get 198 running and my phone talking to the console again  plan on trying it out with my ION and our in house video gear any chance of a plug-in site for those of us that are alittle C++ inpared

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407

Hi Kevin,

I got my start with OpenGL programming in C++ from this website:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

There are almost 50 tutorials starting with the basics (on the right side under the heading "Legacy Tutorials").  You should also checkout the example code that is included when you install it.  There is a step-by-step guide for building the 1st example and seeing it in pixelToy.  Good luck, and please get in touch if you run into any road blocks...

Chris Mizerak
Software Engineer

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18

Thanks i looked at it last night will put more time into it as soon as I can get this iRFR problem to stop kicking my butt

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407

Hello,

Sorry, it doesn't support movie playback at this time :-\

Chris Mizerak
Software Engineer

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407

jpgagnon:

Looks very cool.  Wish there was a Mac version. 

There is now :-)

http://www.etcconnect.com/Community/forums/t/9236.aspx

Chris Mizerak
Software Engineer

Not Ranked
Posts 0

Chris

Hi,

What a wonderful little bit of software. I have been playing for a couple years now with RGB Pixel based Christmas Light displays using sACN, I have had around 7k channels of sACN for two years and about to jump to nearly 20k channels for 2012 so have been looking at easier ways to control the Pixels.

Here's a video of the 2240 RGB Pixel Megatree from 2010 https://vimeo.com/17761183

I initially grabbed 0.2.0.4 and demonstrated to a group of my fellow enthusiasts then when i went to setup DMX control from one of the software packages we use i grabbed the 0.2.0.6 manual without noticing the version change and got confused  as the layer count control property wasn't in the manual but still in the 04 version is was trying to control.... yeah i know silly mistake.

So here's the dumb question, was it just considered redundant?

Now for a request, any chance you could enable recording control functionality via DMX?

Thanks for what is a truly intriguing piece of software that is about to find a use in many a Christmas light show I think.

I am encouraging one of the ultra talented software gurus to have a look at writing effects plugins as well

Cheers

Phil

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407

Hi Phil,

Wow, impressive megatree!!

Sorry for the confusion over the layer count parameter.  We decided to move it out of the DMX input map and into the pixelToy software.  There were 2 reasons:  1) It follows the existing convention of DMX controllable media server more closely  2) It's probably not something you'd need to change on the fly.

Hmmm, I hadn't considered DMX recording, but it's a good idea and would be fairly simple to add.  I will add it to the list for a future release - good idea :-)

Chris Mizerak
Software Engineer

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 219

Chris, curious as to where this little program might be headed.  Still looking for some cheap way to create a mini media server on a mac.  I made one in Quartz Composer, but can't seem to get it out of QC into a standalone program.  And of course, my skill set is limited.  I know you have been asked previously about being able to control video with this.  So just putting in my christmas wish! LOL.

JP

JP Gagnon High Output, Inc. Portland, ME

Not Ranked
Posts 0

Hi,

I'm using a e1.31 controller to control about 2800 channels on my house. This program would be a great addition to my show but I must be misunderstanding how to setup the outputs. Any suggestions?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407

Hey JP,

Well, why not reply exactly one month later ;-)  My goal was for this to be more of a real-time content generator, so I hadn't really planned on adding video playback.  Although it is definitely the most common request...  I'm not sure where this is headed exactly, but I think that, at least parts of it, will be making their way into our consoles at some point.

Chris Mizerak
Software Engineer

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407

Hi Crispy2,

Nice!  I would love to see this thing running on 2800 channels of e1.31 :-)  So, you basically want to start by setting up a Patch where you specify how each pixel region in the main stage area is mapped to each fixture (the fixture's e1.31 address)

To get to the Patch screen, click the settings wrench, and then the light bulb icon:

You should see a large grid that represents the fixtures you will be outputting to.

1. First set the dimension of the grid to be large enough to hold all of your fixtures.  You can think of each grid cell as one of your fixtures.

2. Click on the light bulb icon at the bottom to set the basic type of fixture you will be outputting to.  Most likely, you will want a Generic Dimmer or RGB for a simple colored fixture.  (hover over each option to show a tool tip describing the fixture type)

3. Now, all you have to do is set the e1.31 address for each fixture.  You can do this 1 by 1 or by selecting a whole range of cells.  Select a cell or range of cells.

4. In the bottom right, set the Universe / Port e1.31 address and press the Enter icon.  All of your selected cells should now be addressed.  (You can customize the order in which a range of cells gets addressed by clicking the zig-zag arrow icon)

5. When you are finished addressing all of your fixtures, press the red X icon in the top right to close the Patch screen

6. Back at the main screen, you should now see an overlay with all of your fixtures.  Anytime an effects lights up beneath one of those fixture cells, you should see your actual fixtures illuminate.

There is a little more about it in the manual here:

If you are still stuck, feel free to send me an email, and I'll help you get up and running :-)

"cmizerak (at) etcconnect (dot) com"

Chris Mizerak
Software Engineer

Not Ranked
Posts 4

Any chance of Scrolling Text? or can that be done in C+?

Thank you for this amazing software! It puts some paid ones to shame!

(I too am using it to run a christmas display with 4800 LED PIxel Nodes on three trees. triggered by LightShowPro) :)

One of my hopes is that It doesn't get so good that you have to start charging for it! haha You can't get much for free anymore!

Thanks,

James

James O

House Tech, Festival Place

Sherwood Park, AB. Canada

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS