Electronic Theatre Controls
Welcome to ETC's Online Community

Making an EOS a gateway?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MTG Posted: 07-03-2012 5:21 PM

I am not trying to hook up an EOS to a gateway..but turn an EOS INTO a gateway. We have a spare Eos, but no gateways. 

Thoughts?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 441

Interesting. An Eos and a gateway are two completely different pieces of hardware, so I think you're out of luck there. I presume you are talking about a DMX gateway? Eos does not contain any DMX driver harware or connectors, so I'm afraid you will need an actual gateway.

Can you expand a little further on what exactly you are trying to achieve, then we may be able to offer some other solutions.

Graham

Not Ranked
Posts 3

DMX gateway, yes.

It's a bit of an odd scenario, with lots of...odd...constraints. Here's a brief overview:

We are operating from a Gio (in BU mode) and a RPU as primary.

We're in a room that typically only uses about/less than 1024 parameters of control.

We have a gateway that is feeding DMX ports around the facility, and all of those ports are being used-as universe 1 or 2.

For a one off, we need to tap into the additional parameters that the console has, but we do not have an additional gateway available to us.

We do however have a Eos on site, and are trying to find a way to use it as a Macgyver'ed gateway....

Yes, we could just use the Eos independent of any network solution, but then that means having to run two consoles, as well as an unsightly homerun.

The initial thought was to take the data run from the Gio, add a switch, so one line can still go to the existing gateway, and one can go to the Eos. The Eos could then be used similar to a gateway insofar as a limiter/definer of what universes it impacts.

Yes, two fundamentally different piece of hardware...but...with proper networking and it seems like some sort of solution COULD be possible.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 759

Hi,

As Graham mentioned the Eos doesn't actually have any built in DMX hardware (there are no ports on the back) so you need a connected gateway to get DMX out of it. I'm a little confused by your comment on getting the extra parameters. If you're thinking about combining the output counts of the desks, you can't do that. The available count is the lowest count of the primary or backup.

Dan

Daniel Murfin

National Theatre, London

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 441

Ditto to what Dan has said above, but I think I may be able to suggest a solution.

If this is a one off and you are prepared to sacrifice some of your instant tracking backup for this event could you get the extra DMX channels you need from the local ports on the Gio?

DMX ports 1 and 2 do not have to be Universes 1 and 2, they can be re-assigned in the shell to whichever universe you choose.

Might that be a viable solution? Or have you already used the DMX ports on the Gio?

Not Ranked
Posts 3

It's verging on 5am here on the East Coast, so I apologize for some lack of clarity.

Using the DMX ports on the Gio is our last resort, but our likely solution.

The hiccup in this solution is that it means a cable run of DMX that is less than desirable.

Re:extra parameters. Poor wording. Gio is a 2k parameter model. Currently only using about 1000 parameters....The "additional parameters" I mentioned are the untapped 1000 available on the console. However, because the "house rig" is utilizing all DMX nodes (currently as universe 1 or 2), there is no way (sans an additional gateway) to have that universe 3 exist in that space (without additional gear.

What it boils down to is we need a bit more gear or find a way to hide a cable run. Mostly, this is being all complicated by Independence Day (or, as I imagine you call it, Daniel, Wednesday).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,248

Hi there -

Is it not possible to rent an additional gateway? I would think that this would be possible on the east coast, however, it would help if it weren't a holiday. I think your going to have to use the DMX port on the Gio in this case. The gear you have available won't get you what you're looking for, I'm afraid.

Happy (Fourth of July) Wednesday :-)

Thanks -

Sarah

Sarah Clausen

Market Manager, GmbH

ETC, Inc.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 759

Wednesday it is indeed! Happy 4th of July to you!!

I think Graham/Sarah's suggestions maybe your best bet at this stage!

Dan

Daniel Murfin

National Theatre, London

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS