Electronic Theatre Controls
Welcome to ETC's Online Community

Profile for an illuminator

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30
Meike Posted: 02-23-2012 8:24 PM

My company recently bought a cheap DMX controlled illuminatior for a fiber optic star drop (http://mlighting.en.made-in-china.com/product/qbiEFtwxXoRD/China-LED-Light-Engine-LEE-DMX-.html). Problem is I can't find a suitable profile for it, nor DMX values to build my own.

I'm new to writing my own profiles, so I'm not sure where to start. The manual offers that

Channel 1 controls color

Channel 2- color wheel speed

Channel 3- dimmer

Channel 4- twinkle color wheel speed

Is there any way I can write my own profile or modify an existing one?

Thanks in advance

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15

In your ML patch, look for Generic as the manufacturer and see if there are any profiles for an illuminator that may match yours. That would be an easy first step.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any generic profiles, or anything similar I can modify. Although, I haven't gone through all of the manufacturer's lists yet.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,061

This should be pretty straightforward to build. I would create a new personality with:

Take a look at page 85 of the 1.7 User Manual for information about creating your own fixtures.

Let us know if you get stuck-

-luke-

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30

I've created the profile as shown, but still can't get it to respond. The screen shot doesn't include things like 'LDMX', 'Home', 'Snap', or 'Range'. Do I need to change any of these?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15

A few suggestions:

do you need to strike your lamp (lamp on)?

A good way to  troubleshoot/isolate the problem would be to patch the 4 control channels as you would with a conventional (address 1 @ ch1, 2 @2, 3 @3, 4 @ 4, etc).  play with the levels and see if the unit responds---if it does, it is probably how you created the profile---if it doesn't, it is probably a setting on the fixture itself and/or data problems.

it may be possible your dimmer channel on the fixture works something like this (especially if its low end):

1-50=dimmer 0-100

51-90 built in macros

90-100 lamp control

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,061

You shouldn't need to - LDMX is the "low" DMX - the second channel of a 16bit channel. Home should be 0 on everything, snap shouldn't make any difference in terms of control.

Can you control the various parameters if you simply patch them as dimmers?

-luke-

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS