Electronic Theatre Controls
Welcome to ETC's Online Community

iRFR

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 297
ehuber Posted: 02-16-2012 1:54 PM

I had heard that there is an issue with the version 5 software and the iRFR.  Since i upgraded to this version i can attest to the fact that it does not stay connected.  Is there a resolution coming soon?  We would love to be able to use the iRFR again...someday....maybe...

iPad II Version 5.0.1

Eos

RVI

Peace, Ed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,062

Hi Ed.  Yes, we are seeing this as well.  We are planning to look into this shortly.  As far as I can tell, we are not the only company experiencing these issues, but are going to see if we can do something on our end to improve it.

Stand by please.

a

Anne Valentino

Eos Product Line Manager

Not Ranked
Posts 7

Anne,

Glad to see this, I have been having this problem for a while now (I guess since I updated to iOS 5, but I never made the connection).  I finally got around to troubleshooting it this week and all my network settings seemed to be correct.  I thought I was going crazy.  

Would it be possible to set up and email list or a sticky topic to keep us up to date with what you guys find out?

Thanks,

Brian Ridolfo

Technical Director

Old School Square

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,062

Hi Brian.  I actually thing using the forums is the most efficient way to keep you all in the loop.  And we will do that.

Thanks much!

a

Anne Valentino

Eos Product Line Manager

Not Ranked
Posts 9

I discovered a solution based on a user having similar troubles with a Congo console. This procedure pertains to iOS 5.x devices.

On your iPod/iPhone, navigate to Settings>General>Reset and select and confirm 'Reset Network Settings'.

Your device will then reboot itself. After the reboot is complete, you will need to join your control network (wifi).

You should be able to connect and stay connected to your console at this point.

Hope this helps! Break a leg!

Not Ranked
Posts 7

THANK YOU!

I haven't focused a show with it yet, but I did as you suggested on both my iPhone and iPad and was able to stay connected for twenty minutes while testing (mostly idle time).  Before the reset I was happy if I stayed connected for two minutes. 

Anyone having this problem should try this.

Not Ranked
Posts 5

It actually seems to work.  I did the reset and now my iPhone has been connected to the Ion for the last hour with no interruption.  I wonder what will happen when I re-enter all my other network settings for home and work and then start jumping back and forth between networks.  Time will tell.

Not Ranked
Posts 5

I must take back my comment.  I left the theater and returned ten minutes later.  After I re-established my iPhone connection with the Ion it was up to its old tricks again losing connection every couple of minutes.  Rats!

Not Ranked
Posts 5

After more experimentation yesterday here is what is working for me.  The reset procedure outlined previously does work as long as one does not leave the theater or at least go out of range of the theater's wireless network.  If I go out of range and re-enter the network coverage area I have to go through the reset procedure again to get a stable connection between my iPhone and my Ion console.  With a rehearsal that began yesterday afternoon and extended well into the evening my iPhone remained connected for over 5 hours.  It's not an ideal solution since the network reset loses all networks settings that were stored but at least I have a remote unit that is working well while I am at work.  Maybe the latest update to the operating system will solve the problem.  I am definitely going to have to change my home network password to something easy to remember since I will need to re-enter it every time I go home now.

Not Ranked
Posts 9

Seems to be the same for me. Thanks for the insight.

Not Ranked
Posts 9

I discovered today in two venues that disabling encryption on the wireless network eliminates this problem. Since this eliminates the use of a passphrase, the wireless access points have been set not to broadcast their name (SSID) so the networks cannot be used by anyone not authorized to connect to them.

Hope this helps both users and the folks at ETC.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 152

I upgraded to iOS 5.1 last week before I went into tech.  I have been able to stay connected for hours on end with no problem.  I currently don't have any security measures on my Router, I don't know if that makes a difference.  I have been running problem free for a week now.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27

Braden... 

I'm not sure I am following your fix... Can you explain it in more detail? (especially the SSID and authorized access bits)

I hate not being able to use my iPad for dimmer check...and I'm not going to go the "network reset" path ... 

Hopefully ETC ( or Apple) will fix this soon ... It's very frustrating  ...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 211

ETC are working on this at the moment. In fact there is a beta in the process which for me has solved all the problems. Hopefully it won't be long for the update.

Sammy

The Royal Court, England

Not Ranked
Posts 5

That's good news!!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS