Electronic Theatre Controls
Welcome to ETC's Online Community

Applying a Curve to NIPs

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 56
litedesign Posted: 07-12-2008 8:02 PM

Is it possible to apply a curve to a Non-Intensity-Parameter?

I would like to invert the gobo rotation channels on my moving lights, so that the gobo rotates the same direction as the encoder wheel.

Is there any other way to accomplish this?  Using the fixture editor perhaps?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,062

To place a curve on a NiP.... you assign that NiP to a cue part and put the curve on the part.  

Hope that helps.

Anne Valentino

Eos Product Line Manager

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 578

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but do you mean that on your chosen fixture, when you rotate the encoder clockwise the gobo moves anti-clockwise? May I ask what fixture you are using?

The short answer is that if this is a pre-built fixture from the library, then maybe this fixture needs a little care and attention at ETC HQ so that it works correctly! :-)

In terms of what you can do about this... well, on a show I'm working on at the moment I've actually used custom fixtures rather than the ones in the library to address issues like this. But this is a temporary measure hopefully - where a fixture behaves in an 'illogical' way I feel sure that if you report it it will get fixed in the fullness of time!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 56
Andi.Davis:

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but do you mean that on your chosen fixture, when you rotate the encoder clockwise the gobo moves anti-clockwise? May I ask what fixture you are using?

That is exactly my problem.  I am using VL2500 Spots.

On the Obsession or Expression, I would simply go into Patch and profile those Rotation channels with a reverse linear profile. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,062

We'll look at at the library defaults for this fixture....

Anne Valentino

Eos Product Line Manager

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 251
Why does it have to be in a part?
Anne Valentino:

To place a curve on a NiP.... you assign that NiP to a cue part and put the curve on the part.  

Hope that helps.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,062

Well, it seemed that many people use curves primarily for intensity, so we made the decision that on a single part cue, the curve would apply to just the intensity.  But if you apply to a part, it is anything that was stored in the part.   It was a jump ball sort of decision.  Just seemed like it would be less work for you if you were trying to use curves in an "traditional" sense.    Is it causing you problems???

:-)

a

Anne Valentino

Eos Product Line Manager

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 251
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 44

Sorry if reviving this old thread is no bueno, but I've too been wanting to apply a curve to NIP globally (rather than every cue the fixture is used in). Conceptually it seemed simple enough to have a curve option for each parameter in the fixture editor. The main areas I'd use this function would be with LED dimming; some fixtures do not dim each color the same, and until software catches up on the fixture end i'd like to fix the color shift with a curve in its profile.

I could be out of luck, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

(Knowing the cue part trick is helpful though)

-JD

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS